I am delighted to announce the First Annual Epik Developer Conference. The conference will be hosted in Epik’s home town of Seattle from September 15-17, 2010.
Client Summits are an important growth driver
As many people in the industry know, prior to starting Epik, I spent 8 years building a company called Global Market Insite (GMI). Thanks to the diligent effort of a talented team, GMI grew ~100% per year for 7 straight years. In 2006, GMI was #93 on the Inc 500. I was named Entrepreneur of the Year in the same year. Shortly thereafter we completed one of the largest venture financings of the year, raising $35 million from 3 top private equity groups. That is “hypergrowth”.
The foundation for hypergrowth was laid way back in 2000. That was the year we hired a talented founding team and also when we hosted our first client summit. The summit was held in the city of Vienna, Austria. It was a one-day event that was scheduled around a major industry conference. Many of the attendees of that event not only became loyal clients, but also many of them became friends, and business partners — both with GMI and with each other.
The lesson I learned from this phase of building GMI is that client and partner summits are an important part of building a strong foundation for growth. Our mission at Epik is clear: we are here to create value for our Network Partners. If, in a few years from now, we have enabled 1000 domain entrepreneurs to build out 100 of their most worthy websites, we believe that we will have created a lot of value for our network partners, and in the process will hopefully have built Epik into a great company.
Save the date – September 15-17, 2010
The full program details are being finalized for what should be a worthwhile event for anyone serious about Domain Name Development. The Epik DevCon will be an opportunity to both learn and socialize. Here are some of the themes we are working on, internally and with outside experts who are participating in the event:
- Meet Epik: Overview of the Team and Strategic Partners
- Domain Industry Outlook
- Strategy Update: What is Epik doing and why are we doing it
- Acquire: Acquiring Development-worthy Domains without breaking the bank
- Develop: Developing sites that rank with search engines and win with consumers
- Operate: Content development, Monetization, SEO
- Sell: Selling Developed Websites
- Client case studies: Case studies with real data that show you who is profiting on Epik and how
- Development Update: New product announcements and Preview of upcoming products
- Low-reserve Auction of Developed Websites: We will announce our Auction Partner soon and hope to conduct the first live auction of developed websites powered by Epik at the conference.
- Ruilverkaveling Swap meet: Trade domains and with other Epik Network Members
- Discussion and Q&A: Open discussion with Network Partners about the future of our shared mission
Play and Network
This conference is not just about work.
On the play side, we are putting together a social program that should be a lot of fun. We have hired an Event Planning consultant to make this 1st Annual Epik Developer Conference an event to remember.
Max Ciccotosto (CEO of Epik partner Wishpot.com) is influencing venue selection and the social program. Max was single for a lot longer than I was and was quick to volunteer for the Program Committee.
Weather-wise, mid-September is normally a great time of year to be visiting Seattle. Yes, it does rain here, but rarely in September. And if there is interest in a Spouse program, we’ll put one together.
The objective is to make the conference as affordable as possible. Epik partners with 20+ Network sites receive one free registration for the conference event. A registration form will go online next week with deep discounts for earlybird registration.
Hope to see you in Seattle in September.