SSL Certificates are digital certifications that enable encrypted connections to a website, allowing users to safely browse the web and receive or send sensitive information with the highest degree of protection. Epik offers Professional Single and Wildcard SSL Certificates, which include both a 1-year duration and warranty.
Note: To complete the setup, a professional SSL from Epik is needed, which can be bought here: https://www.epik.com/hosting/ssl/
How To Set Up SSL Certificates in Epik
1. Log in to your Epik Account.
2. In your Dashboard, click SSL Certificates under the Services option in the top black navigation bar.
3. In the SSL Certificates page, click Manage.
4. Click Activate to begin the set-up process.
5. Here you’ll need to complete CSR, which stands for Certificate Signing Request. You can use a third-party CSR Generator and paste in the code in the first option, or generate the CSR information using Epik’s own tool. To do so, you’ll need to fill in the Domain Name, Organization, Department, Country, City, and State. If there’s no Department or State, fill in “N/A“.
Note: The Common Name for the domain, should be the root domain (domain.com). Using a subdomain (like www.domain.com) will issue the certificate for that subdomain only, while inputting the root domain will ensure both the root and the www.subdomain are covered by the SSL.
6. As shown, add the DNS CAA Records to your domain’s DNS. For assistance in Epik, you may follow this guide, or contact your registrar/host to add those for you if your domain is external. Choose the correct server type for your hosting, and click Next.
7. The next step is completing the DCV, or Domain Control Validation, to prove domain ownership. To do so, there are three options: Email, DNS or HTTP based verification.
Email will send a link to one of 5 specific email addresses for the domain name. DNS will validate the domain via a custom CNAME Record, and HTTP requires the upload of a specific file to a hosting directory. For this guide, we’ll select Email, which is the most straightforward and easy option. Select your desired option and click Next.
9. Specify the email to send the SSL files to and click Submit.
10. You’ll now see the SSL is in a Pending status. At this point, you may still change the DCV method to one of the two others, or click Resend DC Validation to resend the DCV email.
11. You’ll receive an email from Sectigo Certification Authority requesting you to click the link and input a validation code.
12. Specify the validation code in the field and click Next.
13. The DCV is now completed.
14. Back in your SSL list, you should see the SSL status as Active. You may enable HTTPS connections to your website.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between Single and Wildcard SSLs?
While Single SSLs only covers the root domain and www. subdomain, Wildcard covers both the root domain and ANY subdomain.
What kind of SSL certifications are there?
There are several types of SSL certificates, which vary based on the level of validation they provide. The three main options are Domain Validation (DV), Organization Validation (OV) and Extended Validation (EV) certificates. Epik only offers DV certificates.
Epik offers SSL for free with Web Hosting. What’s the difference between free and paid certificates?
The difference between SSL Certificates is not about quality of encryption and security but the existence of warranty, as well as quality of certification and how far that security extends. Normally, paid SSL certificates are signed by a more trusted SSL Certificate Authority, which ensures browser compatibility, and the SSL Certificate lifespan is usually 1 year instead of 30 to 60 days.
Are SSL Certificates refundable?
SSL Certificates are non-refundable items.
Can I repurpose a used SSL Certificates to another domain?
As soon as the SSL is issued, it can no longer be altered. If there is a change in domain or CSR personal information, a new SSL Certificate must be acquired.