In this tutorial we’ll learn how to set up your Epik hosted email address using the major email clients on Desktop & Android/Apple Mobile devices.
IMAP vs POP3
IMAP (Internet Messaging Access Protocol) and POP3 (Post Office Protocol) are email protocols that let you access/read your email addresses from third-party email clients and applications, but what’s the difference between them, and which one is best for you?
The main difference between these two protocols is that while POP3 downloads the emails from the server for permanent local storage, IMAP leaves them on the server and simply “caches” emails locally. In other words, IMAP is better to configure and sync your emails across many devices. For this reason, we highly recommend the use of IMAP.
Getting the Correct Configuration Details
First thing to do is to get your email details ready. We’ll need the Incoming & Outgoing Servers, Ports & Credentials.
- For Web or Email Hosting:
Access your cPanel and navigate to Email Accounts. Next to your created email address, click Connect Devices. On this window, you’ll be able to see the configuration settings for your email, which will be near identical to the following image:
- For Site Builder Emails:
On your Domain Dashboard, hover over the blue cylinder next to your domain to reveal your plan. Next to Emails, click Manage Emails. Click Settings next to your email, which will reveal the configuration settings.
Example of details: Username: firstname.lastname@example.org Password: Use the email account’s password. Incoming Mail Server: mail.yourdomain.com | Port: 993 Outgoing Mail Server: mail.yourdomain.com | Port: 465 Where yourdomain.com is replaced by your domain name. Encryption Method will be SSL/TLS for most clients. Note: If you chose POP3, don't forget to change the Incoming Mail Server Port to 995.
Mail Client Automatic Configuration Scripts [Apple]
Apple users can get an automatic configuration script which will sync any device’s default iOS or MacOS mail app with the correct email settings.
To get this, access your cPanel and navigate to Email Accounts. Next to your created email address, click Connect Devices. On this window, you’ll be able to see the configuration scripts on top of the page.
Next to iOS for iPhone/iPad/iPod and MacOS® Mail.app® , click IMAP over SSL/TLS to prompt the file download. After that, just click it, which will open the mail app. Input your password and you’re good to go.
Microsoft Outlook 2019
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2019.
- Let’s head to and click File on the top left corner.
- Click + Add Account.
- The setup wizard will start. Fill in your email address and under Advanced Options, check the option Let me set up my account manually. Click Connect.
- On Choose Account Type, choose either IMAP or POP (we highly recommend IMAP).
- Now you’ll be prompted to configure the settings for your email address that you got on Step 1.
- Enter your password and click Connect.
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
- On the top right corner, click + New, and choose Existing Mail Account.
- Fill out your Name, Email Address and Password, and choose Configure Manually.
- Here you can add your configuration settings. When done, click Re-Test, and then Done to finish the wizard.
Apple’s Mac Mail
- Open Mac Mail.
- On the top left corner, under Mail, click Add Account.
- On Choose a Mail Account Provider, check Other Mail Account, and click Continue.
- Fill out the Name, Email Address and Password, and click Sign In.
- An error may appear prompting you to input the account type and the mail servers. Fill this out and click Sign In again.
- By default, Apple doesn’t set your email server settings as secure. For this, we’ll need to head Mail, and hit Preferences.
- Click Accounts, and head to Server Settings. Uncheck the Automatically Manage Connection Settings and input your email configuration details. When done, click Save.
- Open the Google Play Store and install Microsoft Outlook. When done, open the app.
- On the Welcome screen, tap Add Account.
- Enter your email/password and tap Continue.
- Outlook often has this error that detects IMAP/POP accounts as an Exchange type. Tap the Question/Help icon on top, and choose Change Account Provider.
- Choose IMAP type under the Advanced section.
- Fill out the email configuration settings, and tap the check-mark icon on top to finish the wizard.
- Open the Google Play Store and install Email Blue Mail – Calendar & Tasks. When done, open the app.
- On the Welcome screen, tap Add Account.
- On the account type, choose the last option Other Email.
- Fill in your email/password, check the Automatic box and tap Next.
- Blue Mail is pretty good at detecting your server settings, but sometimes you’ll need to input some information manually if the automatic wizard fails. In this case, Outgoing Mail Server settings failed, so just fill the appropriate settings and tap Next.
- Choose a Name and Description for your email account and tap Done to finish the wizard.
iOS Mail App
- Head to Settings > Mail.
- On Mail, tap Accounts.
- Let’s head to Add Account.
- Under the Mail Section, tap Add Mail Account.
- Choose the Other account type.
- Fill out your email settings and tap Next. The app will try to verify your account automatically. If successful, tap Done.
- If unsuccessful, choose IMAP type and fill out the configuration settings manually. If correct, tap Next.
- Choose if you’d like to activate Notes for this account, and tap Save to finish the setup wizard.