MX Records, short for Mail Exchange, have a very clear but important task – they are responsible for determining which mail server/service the emails a particular domain receives get routed to. MX Records allow for an easy connection to all sorts of different types of email products and services.
Aside from the Host, TTL and Value fields, MX Records also have the Priority, which determines the sequence of server distribution in workload, frequently in case there are multiple servers for backups, outages or high workload prevention.
Priority should be 0 by default if there’s just one server, but reach out to your email provider, who will be able to provide all the information.
Important: For your records to work, your Name Servers should be set to one of the following two options, which determine where you should add the DNS Records:
- ns3.epik.com/ns4.epik.com – DNS is managed on Epik.com Dashboard
- host11.epik.com/host12.epik.com – DNS is managed on cPanel
The numbers may vary on the hosting name servers depending on your hosting plan. This information is emailed to you when you first purchase a plan.
If you have a third-party name servers, the DNS Records should be added on that provider’s end.
Editing MX Records in the Epik Dashboard
1. Navigate to your Domain Portfolio.
2. Locate your domain and select it. You can click on the options square menu to reveal the Set DNS Host Records options, or the same option by click DNS & WHOIS in the black top navigation menu.
3. You’ll reach the options page, where you can choose Email Services (MX) to edit them.
4. When set up, click Save Changes.
Editing CNAME Records in cPanel
First, log in to your hosting plan’s cPanel – you can check out this guide to learn how to access it directly.
1. Inside cPanel, navigate to Zone Editor, under the Domains section.
2. Once inside the Zone Editor page, click Manage next to the domain options to see the full list of records.
3. Here you can use the Filters below the search bar to see only MX Records. You can then click + Add Record to add a completely new record by type, and/or click Edit next to the relevant record you wish to change.
4. When ready, click Save Record or Save All Records.